It's time for summer's last hoorah people and this should be on the list of recipes to say goodbye to summer with. Seriously...it is incredibly easy, so luscious and that color? Holy swoon!
You need this in your life for sure and did I lie when I said it's easy? Imagine how incredible this ice cream would look if you sandwiched it between chocolate cookies? OH MY!
This Turmeric Ice Cream is also called "golden milk" and I bet you don't need 2 guesses why. Turmeric is not only beautiful but it is incredibly good for you too. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is also thought to boost your immune system. Of course those claims are not associated with ice cream consumption. ;) Ok, let's stop talking and get to the recipe.
TURMERIC ICE CREAM
Makes 6-8 Servings
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds removed
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamon powder
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together the sugar and the half and half, dissolving the sugar. Once the mixture begins to simmer, remove the heat
- Meanwhile whisk eggs in a medium size bowl. Temper the eggs by slowly whisking in half of the half and half mixture. Make sure to whisk quickly to avoid egg from scrambling
- Pour egg mixture back into the sauce pan with the other half of the half and half mixture. Stir in the heavy cream
- Split your vanilla bean in half and scrape out the seeds into the cream. Proceed by dumping in the rest of the spices (cinnamon, turmeric, cardamon) into cream and cover with lid. Place on medium to low heat and cook until the cream can coat the back of a metal spoon (nape). Remove from heat
- Pour into a medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Make sure plastic wrap is touching your cream to avoid any top layer skin being made. Refrigerate overnight
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.