Summer should definitely equal at least one day of really good Chili Dogs. I don't mean opening up some can of chili, I'm talking about slow cooking a big ole pot of homemade chili that's packed with chunks of beef, onions and peppers. Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Who's with me on this?
Letting the slow cooker do the work for you, frees you up to sip a cold one or make other deliciousness for your Labor Day BBQ party.
Are you ready to get your chili dog rockstar on? Check out the recipe below!
COWBOY CHILI DOGS
Makes 8-12 Servings
Slow Cooker Cowboy Chili
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb top sirloin, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 15 oz can kidney beans
- 15 oz can black beans
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef stock
- 4 tablespoons Cowboy Crust Spice Rub
For the Hot Dogs
- Hot dog buns
- Hot dogs (your favorite brand), cooked
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced red onion
- Green onions or chives, chopped
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking into small pieces, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add to crock of slow cooker.
- In the same pan, add the sirloin chunks and cook until browned on all sides. Add to the crock of the slow cooker.
- Add the onions and cook just until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add to crock with the remaining ingredients (kidney beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef stock and Cowboy Crust spice rub). Stir to combine. Set slow cooker for LOW for 6 hours.
- Spoon warmed Cowboy Chili onto cooked hot dogs and buns, top with cheddar cheese, red onions and/or green onions and serve immediately.